PGIMER is very well known as Premier healthcare Institute and Best Research Institute to produce Best doctor for the country. Here, we are going to tell you that PGIMER not only is producing good Doctors but also helped in saving our soldiers too by training Indian Armed Forces Doctors in their respective Departments. As per research report, the Department of Neurosurgery at PGIMER has been a preferred center for neurosurgical training of surgeons from the armed force services since the very beginning. In the initial years, PGIMER was preferred over AIIMS, as attachment to the Command Hospital at Chandigarh during the final year was easier than from Delhi. Major TK Roy was the first trainee doctor from the armed forces to join the institute. Till date, 17 candidates have been trained, who provide services to the brave soldiers and civilians of India.
- Maj TK Roy – retired as Brig, from Secunderabad; deceased
- Maj Brahm Dev – retired as Lt Col, staying in NOIDA; now doing social work
- Lt Col HS Gill – retired as Maj Gen, staying in Panchkula; now doing social work
- Lt Col K Unni Parakkal – retired as Col; deceased
- Lt Col Sandip Biswas – retired as Maj Gen and Dean, Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune, staying in Pune; now doing social work
- Maj Simanchal Raul – retired as Lt Col, practicing in Jamshedpur
- Lt Col Sarv Sarup – retired as Col, staying in Nawa Shahar; now doing social work
- Maj Prakash Singh – retired as Maj Gen, staying in Delhi; working with Max Hospital
- Maj VK Batish – retired as Col, stays in Chandigarh; working at Landmark Hospital, Chandigarh
- Maj JR Sharma – retired as Brig, stays in Jammu; working in a private Medical College
- Maj HS Bhatoe – retired as Brig; working with Max Hospital New Delhi
- Maj HC Pathak – retired as Brig, staying in Delhi; working with Venkateshwar Hospital
- Maj MN Swami – presently heading the Department of Neurosurgery AFMC Pune as Brigadier
- Maj Maneet Gill – working in the Department of Neurosurgery AFMC Pune as Col
- Lt Col SK Verma – presently Col, working as an advisor to the Neurosurgery Army Hospital New Delhi
- Lt Col Manish Sharma – working in the Department of Neurosurgery Command Hospital Calcutta as Col
- Wg Cdr Vikash Maheshwari – presently Gp Capt, working in the Department of Neurosurgery, AFMC Pune.
General Biswas served as the Dean at AFMC, Pune from 1995 to 1997. Brigadier Harjinder Singh Bhatoe was Editor of the Indian Journal of Neurotrauma from 2004 to 2011, and is currently Editor of the Indian Journal of Neurosurgery.
At present, three candidates from the defense background are being trained in the department.