The shocking case of a man in Hyderabad murdering and consequently raping a dog is but a speck when one goes to look at the number of reported cases of sexual deviancy, globally as well as in India. Bestiality, paedophilia and necrophilia cases often don’t get highlighted enough, but that doesn’t change the fact that they continue to happen every day.
Sexual deviancy, as per India’s archaic laws, includes almost anything that is not orthodox and heteronormative. The definition of perversion may vary depending on who you ask, but in the present context, we talk about things that are not just illegal, but bizarre, heinous and almost deranged.
We list below a number of cases that have emerged over the years where one can clearly see that behaviour like zoophilia or necrophilia are not just fantastical horror stories – rather they are all too real.
1) Ameerul Islam, the accused in the Jisha murder case, has been involved with bestiality as well. Police found a video of the accused having sex with a goat owned by a family in Perumbavoor. The act was recorded on mobile by a migrant worker. The accused also mutilated the private parts of the goat.
2) Zachariah, a 48-year-old carpenter, was arrested by the Kunnamangalam police in Kozhikode for raping a dog. The man was caught after a WhatsApp video of him having unnatural sex with a dog got circulated across Kerala.
3) In the Betul district of Madhya Pradesh, an escaped cow was rapedby a 50-year-old drunk man. The man, Sravan Vyas, was later arrested for sexually assaulting the cow and charged under Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code.
4) A 25-year-old man was arrested for having sex with a cow in the Linga village of Balaghat district in Madhya Pradesh. The accused had been caught red-handed and was arrested under Section 456 and Section 377 of IPC.
5) An 18 year old boy from Najafgarh, Delhi, was charged for committing bestiality on a baby cow. He was admitted in AIIMS where he was being treated by the hospital’s department of Psychiatry and Forensic Medicine.
6) Mumbai police arrested 24-year-old Nagesh Gholap from Chembur, for murder and necrophilia. The accused was arrested for murdering and raping a 14-year-old girl. Nagesh admitted to have murdered the girl first and then raping her, a senior police official said.
7) The body of a 45-year-old woman was dug out of her grave and raped on Saturday in the Lal Darwaza area of Fatehpur Sikri. The incident was discovered when the family of the deceased visited her grave. The corpse was found naked and a pair of trousers and a pouch of liquor were found inside the grave.